Photo courtesy of Doug Kerr
Once again, seaturtle nesting season is upon us. Throughout the beaches of Singer Island, caution tape is set up sporadically as sea turtles begin their nesting rituals. To coencide with sea turtle nesting season, MacArthur Park will be offering Sea Turtle Talk and Walks every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during the months of June and July.
Tickets will cost $10 and will feature a night out under the stars on MacArthur Park's beach to get a glimpse of a nesting loggerhead sea turtle. The evening comes with the following requirements:
- The event will go from 8pm-11:30pm. The event could go later depending on the turtles and no one will be allowed to leave until the Ranger allows for it
- The event is not for children under the age of 8
- All attendees must be quiet, patient, and able to walk up to two miles on the beach
- It is reccomended that attendees bring insect repelant and water
- Wear walking shoes and comfortable dark clothing
- No flashlights, flash photography, or cell phones
In addition to the Turtle Talk and Walks open to the public every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during the months of June and July, MacArthur Park will also be holding some events for members only throughout June and July. June 4th, 11th, and 25th and July 9th, 16, and 23rd will be open only to members of the park. Membership costs start at $50 for individuals and $85 for families a year and go up from there depending on the membership level.
For more information on the Sea Turtle Talk and Walk series, and to purchase tickets or become a member, visit www.macarthurbeach.org.